Kewaunee County Logo
Kewaunee County Kewaunee County
Curve
 Main Home
 Home
 Visit Kewaunee County
 Winter Park Tubing/Skiing
 County Lakes
 County Parks
 Dana Farm
 Events
 Ahnapee State Trail
 Park Hours and Rules
 Fairgrounds
 Park Shelter Rentals
 RLF Business Assistance
 Snowmobile Trail Map
 Contact Us

 
Bruemmerville Park

Bruemmerville County Park is located on Silver Creek approximately1 mile west of the City of Algoma.   The park includes an open air shelter with picnic tables, playground equipment, and access to Silver Creek which is a tributary to the Ahnapee River.    Bruemmerville is a popular destination for fishermen in the spring and fall seeking Lake Michigan trout and salmon during their annual spawning runs.  In 2012, the dam was removed from the site and the area was restored to it's original condition, dating back to the mid 1800's.

  

Before Dam Removal (August 2012)

After Removal / Site Restoration

 

HISTORY OF BRUEMMERVILLE (ALGOMA) DAM

Bruemmerville is located just west of Algoma on a branch of the Ahnapee River called Silver Creek.  Abraham Hall purchased a land patent on 80 acres in 1856, and then sold it to Charles Griswold Boldt and Frank Swaty who built a flour and gristmill. In 1866

Henry Bruemmer arrived in Ahnapee and bought the mill. He also planted an orchard and started a brick manufacturing business shortly after the Peshtigo fire of 1871 when brick was in great demand. Henry and his sons began many businesses and Frank Elliot, publisher of the Algoma Record Herald from 1907-1918, named it Bruemmerville.

The Bruemmer mill was a busy place in the late1800’s with farmers from Kewaunee and Door Counties bringing their grain to be ground up for dairy feeds and their wheat in the fall for their year’s supply of flour. Often farmers were lined up and sometimes had to wait 2 days for their flour.

 

Henry’s sons, Louis and Ernst, joined their father in the mill business and became partners after their father retired in 1910 naming it the Bruemmer Bros. They also built a saw and planing mill on Silver Creek where a dam was built in 1866. It washed out twice and finally a cement dam was built in 1923. By 1944 competition had put the mill out of business. Ernst Bruemmer’s son, Stanley, was the last Bruemmer to operate it.

 

Williamm Stoller purchased the mill in 1943 and tore it down for wood for his barn. The Algoma Hunting and Fishing Club then built a Club House on the site. The dam site and mill pond were purchased by the County on October 19, 1950 and the area is now a county park.

 

By 1944 the mills and cheese factory had closed down or been torn down, and by 1973 the last Bruemmer was gone.

 

Horizontal Line
Last Modified:  10/1/2014 11:07:00 AM  
Horizontal Line
Return to Previous